28 November 2011

Gobble Gobble

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends and family.  One of the great things about living on the East Coast again is that we were able to decide on Monday that we would drive up to my family’s house for Thanksgiving.  No flight needed.  So Wednesday morning, Vincent, Colbert, and I packed into the car and made the 4 hour drive up to the Boston area.  Colbert has never been to my parents’ house, so it was fun to see his reaction to the house and my family’s dog, Toby.  Colbert did pretty well, except that he was anxious the first  night because he thought we were leaving him there.  Once he knew we weren’t abandoning him, he was much more comfortable.



 















Thursday, with the Macy’s Parade on in the background, my grandfather and my aunt brought the turkey and the candied yams over to finish cooking at my parents’ house.  I know a lot of people love the parade, but my favorite TV tradition for Thanksgiving is the National Dog Show.  Obviously we were rooting for the Australian Shepherd, which usually wins the Herding Group category, as it did this year.  I thought this year’s Aussie was the prettiest one yet, even prettier than the one that won Best in Show in 2007.  This year’s dog show winner was very disappointing.  My sister predicted the winner because, as she said, they always choose the ugliest dog.



Photo from NBC.
 

 












Thanksgiving at my house consists of turkey, butternut squash, mashed potatoes, candied yams, green bean casserole, stuffing, gravy, two kinds of cranberry sauce, pumpkin bread, and peas and carrots (which prompted my stepdad to quote Forrest Gump).  


 

 














Also, no Thanksgiving is complete without apple pie, pumpkin pie, and banana cream pie!

 

 














We finished the day with a showing of Home Alone.  “This is it, don’t be scared now.”  How did you celebrate your Thanksgiving?  What are some of your family traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover